Please feel free to submit training questions. Your question maybe answered in a weekly dog training tip!
- Does your dog bark in excitement when you are driving in your car?
- Does your dog bark at stimuli as cars pass you while you are driving?
- Having trouble listening to the radio in the car with your barking dog?
Below are some tips to create a more peaceful and quiet car.
- These tips are directed to dogs that get excited in the car.
- These tips may work for aggressive dogs as well.
- These tips are not for dogs who whine or bark in the car due to fear.
- Also these techniques are specifically directed to working and herding breeds such as Border Collies, Heelers, Shetland Sheepdogs, Great Pyrenees, Australian Shepherds, etc.
- You may find them to be helpful for other breeds as well 🙂
When there are two people in the car (one person driving and one passenger the passenger). The passenger can C/T (click and treat) when your dog is quiet. It is best to C/T after your dog has been quiet for at least 3 seconds.
Having your dog in a crate can help immensely if your dog runs and barks in the car. This can be common for herding dogs. Give your dog a Kong with almond butter or canned dog food (freezing the Kong is best). You can also C/T when your dog is quiet in his crate if there are two people in the car.
Covering the crate with a sheet can be very helpful. This is very calming for your dog and cuts down on what your dog can see outside of his crate. You can also buy a calming cap and this creates a similar experience: http://www.healthypets.com/premiercap.html
Turn on relaxing music in your car. Classical music is awsome. Also this website: http://www.throughadogsear.com/music_compositions.htm
has music that is designed to help your dog to relax 🙂
Yelling at your dog will feed the barking and will just increase his arousal level.
Upcoming and Current Classes:
- Create an Awesome Come Now. 4 Week “Come” Course beginning in August on Saturday mornings. Begin with basics and graduate to more advanced settings including the park. Contact Johanna for further information.
- Puppy Kindergarten and Elementary Obedience Courses starting today and continuing until the end of the year. Join at anytime. The sooner you join the sooner you create the obedient dog of your dreams!
Best Training Wishes!
Johanna Teresi, Professional Owner and Trainer for Four Legged Scholars LLC